Birding Locations of Note
The links on this page take you to information about specific, popular birding locations in Kentucky. You can link to short written summaries and marked-up maps below.
The area around Henderson Kentucky offers many wonderful birding opportunities. It is primarily lowlands with river-flooded sloughs, swamps, hardwood forest and wood lots amidst agricultural fields.
- Green River State Forest, Henderson Co, KY
- Sandy Lee Watkins Park, Henderson Co, KY
- Sloughs WMA, Sauerheber Unit, near Henderson, KY
- Sloughs WMA, Map of Birding Locations – Created and shared by KOS member Charlie Crawford
Birding in this area is influenced by rolling hills and historic grasslands, the large reservoirs and wooded sites.
- Jacobson Park, Lexington, KY
- Lexington Cemetary, Lexington, KY
- Raven Run Nature Sanctuary
- Reservoirs at Lexington, KY
Proximity to the Ohio River, the Knobs geology and the extensive city parks all provide a great variety of bird species and many good viewing spots.
- Anchorage Trail
- Cherokee Park
- Hays Kennedy Park and Gavin Brown Preserve
- Ohio River sites
- The Parklands of Floyds Fork
Other Kentucky Birding Locations
These locations are spread out across the state, from the Eastern Kentucky mountains to the flatlands in Western Kentucky, and include a National Park and a National Recreation Area.